Wednesday, June 17, 2015

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW!!!! So excited!

I am beyond excited today because I actually got Rachel W. Teal to do an interview! Its exclusive because she hasn't given an interview before on her book. Thank you Rachel for giving me the opportunity to share this with my Blog Subscribers. She even gives us a 40 percent Discount on her book which I put the coupon at the end! So Amazing!



 

1)  So you have released your first novel, The Gathering Place, recently.  Why did you choose to self-publish over traditionally publishing? 

Self publishing was always an option but I wanted to try to secure agent representation and have my novel sold to a publisher. I assembled my "dream team" of agents, and several responded. The overall feedback I received was regarding my platform: who I have in my network that will buy my book and who I have that will refer my book - fans, if you will. So I decided to self publish to build my platform and an audience so that I can then go back to agents with future projects and have the numbers there to support my dream.  

 

2)  What was the inspiration behind The Gathering Place?  How did you come up with the idea?

 

They say to write what you know, and I know the legal system in Tennessee through my "day job" as a paralegal, and I know the south and Nashville having grown up there. I've always loved murder mysteries and legal thrillers, so I put all those elements together and started writing.  Lucas came to me first, quickly followed by Samantha and the rest was history.  

 

3)  What parts of yourself are hidden inside the pages of your novel?

 

There is so much!  The setting is in Nashville, which I know like the back of my hand, so it was very easy to pull inspiration from my hometown.  Maliha is Cherokee and I have strong Cherokee roots. I love England, so having Lucas come from there was natural for me. Samantha's hometown is where my Dad's family is from, and the house where her father lives is an old farmhouse out in the countryside that I love. There are so many other things but I don't want to bore you!

 

 

4) Tell me a little bit about your writing routine.  Do you have a special place where you write?  How often do you write?  What inspires you? 

 

I tend to write at home. I don't have cable television so it's very easy for me to get lost in my writing at home. I usually write at my kitchen table or my chaise lounge. I also love independent coffee shops - caffeine is a must when holding a day job, having a life and trying to make your dream to be an author come true. It takes discipline. I'm inspired by people - that I see, that I meet, that I overhear. The world is your oyster if you will only listen! 

 

5)  Is the editing process as gruesome as it seems?

 

It can be at times and I was terrified of letting anyone see my work. I had actually shelved The Gathering Place for many years  until my friend convinced me to rework it and polish it up. The nuts and bolts were there, it just needed to be polished.  But it is terrifying at first, like someone telling you that your baby is ugly. And trust me, some people have, or have nit picked about things but over all, it doesn't change my opinion about my novel and rejection didn't hurt as bad as I had imagined.

 

6)  Has writing novels always been one of your dreams? 

 

I think writing in and of itself has always been the way I communicate with the world around me. I've written letters to boyfriends telling them things I couldn't confess in person, letters to the President and Congress...that evolved into writing short stories and poems in high school and college as an outlet, so writing novels, I think, was a natural next step. 

 

7)  Many may not know this, but you are a survivor of a rarely-diagnosed endocrine disorder called Cushing's Disease, one that I am familiar with myself. What is it like trying to accomplish your goals while struggling with a chronic illness?

 

It has its challenges. There's a spoon theory out there that says that an action costs you so many spoons and you only get so many spoons a day. My day job takes most of them but I'm lucky that writing is relaxing and cathartic, and I can take most of my stress and frustration out on the computer and turn it into something that makes me proud. In the end, it replenishes my supply of spoons. There are barriers and bumps on everyone's journey and Cushing's is no different. You just have to push through and climb and surmount a little more, but man do you feel accomplished when you get there! 

 

 

 

8)  So you are working on a literary fiction novel that contains a very important subplot regarding Cushing's Disease.  Is it easy to separate yourself from Tori, the character who fights this disease in the novel? 

 

Yes and no. I didn't want to write a memoir, at least not yet, because in the grand scheme of things, who am I? Plus, I am most comfortable writing fiction and telling my truth through my characters. I think I gifted some aspects of my journey with Cushing's to Tori, which helped me a lot in the end, but I also wanted Tori's journey to be her own, because I've learned that no person's story is the exact same, either with or without Cushing's Disease. So I let her express herself in ways I never would, and let her tell her own story.  

 

9)  When will The Hiding Place be ready?

 

It is outlined and a few chapters are written, but the literary fiction one is taking precedent right now and then I will finish The Hiding Place, which will feature Lila and Jack, though Samantha and Lucas will make a few appearances, too.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I think everyone will enjoy, and they will really start to see why certain things happened the way they did in The Gathering Place. 

 

10)  And finally, where can we find The Gathering Place?  (I'll talk about the discount for your blog readers here, and the giveaway of a Nashville prize package). 

 

It is on Amazon, in paperback and Kindle, and also on my e-store that you can access via my website, www.rachelwteal.com, on the novel's page. Also, I am offering a discount for your readers on the paperback version if they buy it through my store. As an added bonus, anyone from your blog who reviews on Amazon will  be entered to win a Nashville-themed goodie bag with some of my favorite things from my hometown. Use discount code GTLU4KCP  to get 40% off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment