Saturday, July 18, 2015

Dark, Scared and Stranded


15 miles of dirt road, rain, lightening, no service, and a dead battery. That is how my Bff, her kids, Ryan and I ended our night. When you live in the country it’s not like you can just wait for someone to pass you or walk a block to have reception. This was our night….I am glad we documented it just to keep us busy but it might of ended up being my favorite night of all times with my BFF.


How it all started is we were going to town to the Star Party to look at the Stars. The rain and lightning cancelled the get together so we headed back home. We live 15 miles down a dirt road. We are the first house so it’s not like you can just go over to the neighbors and use the telephone. The alternator went out so everything started to get dim and we were like “oh crap” because we knew we had no cell reception, especially in the rain. We literally ended smack dab in the middle 7 miles in.



It’s not like we could wait for a car to go by because it was late and also because no one is going to drive by. We only have two neighbors and it was 945pm. Our only option was for Ryan to walk in the dark (pitch black there are no lights) 7 miles to our house. It was going to take him a couple hours. I was so worried for him it was unreal but when you have a 5 and 7 year old in the car you just play it cool. He took two flashlights, bottle of water and his jacket and set out. Looking back it took 3.5 hours. Ryan got turned around once but we are so thankful he made it. 1am my knight and shining armor came to rescue us with drinks and cookies for the kids. I can’t believe Ryan made that walk up the hills and rocks for us. I was so happy to see him it was unreal. My bff oldest got in the truck and said “Thank you Mr. Ryan so so much. Are you okay? How bad was it?” Super sweet especially for a 7 year old who didn’t fall asleep the whole time we were in the car.


There were a lot of funny moments however. One of our phones started dying because we were letting the kids play on it and B said “just connect it to the charger”. We ended up having laughing fits because we were so tired and I told Laura we should blog about this for sure. We started taking pictures that made us laugh and then videos. I literally have not laughed that hard in forever! B said I sounded like a squealing pig which made me laugh even harder. Then somewhere in the three hours B said “SHHHH…I hear a lamb! Oh wait! That’s just my brother snoring!” I think so many things seemed funny since we were tired and kind of freaked out. When Q finally did wake up we were digging out glow sticks for him and he told us to “just turn on the lights so we can find them”.

The things that saved us that night in the car however were the drinks we had picked up for the kids, glow sticks we had for the Star Party and lifesavers for them to snack on. We really think it would have been a whole different experience for us and the kids to be in the pitch black with no light. I was very thankful for those glow sticks!


At once point Q had to go to the bathroom so we opened the door for him to go and voila we had light! B says maybe we can drive the car then. I jumped in the driver’s seat and the engine turned on. We were SO happy!!!! A couple miles later it died again. DANGIT!!! I don’t think I have ever moved that fast to get from one side of the car to the other. B then said “well that’s a relief I guess”. Pretty funny for a 7 year old!



I am so thankful for my husband that he was there. I don’t see Laura and I and the kids walking in the rain and lightning that far. He is pretty sore today and tired but he is my hero! Not just today but everyday! My hero! I don’t know how he still had energy today but he did.




It was definitely a night to remember. One we will never forget and one of many memories of laughing and freaking out too. All Hail Glow Sticks! I am totally keeping those in all my cars now.

Subscribe to this blog by putting your email at the top of the Home Page. You will get an email every time I blog. Also can subscribe by Google+ or Bloglovin (the app). Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment