Thursday, August 6, 2015

Insomnia! and Cushings


Insomnia and Cushings. There are many symptoms of Cushings but one symptom that seems to really bite me in the butt is Insomnia. For instance its 4:50am and I can’t sleep no matter how many sheep I have counted or how many times I have tried to be lulled to sleep by my husband’s soft snoring.

I am lucky that I have teenagers and its summer. I don’t know what I would do if I had little kids. I mean I am practically falling asleep when little ones would be waking up. Thankfully my kids are old enough that I usually make them breakfast. Leave it out with a note and tell them when I went to bed so they know if I slept that night or not. I usually see the beautiful sunrise and then start to yawn finally.

I have Cyclical Cushings. I have had two tumors on my pituitary and had them removed at MD Anderson just little over a year ago. I was lucky enough to go into remission for a short amount of time. I am blessed because I became stronger, slept better, lost weight, lost my buffalo hump and all my symptoms started to disappear. Now a year later I am retesting because about 3 months ago I started noticing huge changes again. All my symptoms were coming back and with a vengeance. My new Mri showed a new tumor and every single one of my tests have come back with high cortisol.

So why am I awake? Well I will tell you why. Normal people who do not have Cushings get a rush of Cortisol in the morning to wake them up. It’s your body’s natural response. It’s a hormone that helps you to wake up and to get on with your day. At night time it disappears unless maybe you are feeling stressed because it is the stress hormone. When it disappears you become tired and can fall asleep.

Then there is me. The crazy lady who is cleaning the house at 2am, making breakfast for my kids at 5am for them to warm up, making sure all the laundry is done and blogging because I can’t sleep. Cushies have the opposite happening to them. Cortisol is released at night time so I can’t fall asleep no matter what I do. I have tried to lay in bed for 5 hours and just stare out the window. Nothing. Nada. Nope! Cortisol gives you that surge of energy. It’s like a drug that makes you antsy, angry sometimes, have anxiety, it’s like a thousand volts of energy running through your body or a bear chasing you. It is called fight or flight. It’s not a drug though. It’s something every body creates but my body apparently doesn’t know that it needs to be a part of the in crowd and GO TO SLEEP! Now tell me…..could you just lay down and sleep if a bear was chasing you? If you said yes…..you must have narcolepsy or something.

Anyways because I cycle I have days and I do mean DAYS of insomnia. I will sleep roughly 2-4 hours a night. Let’s be real though I should say I sleep 2-4 hours in the day because my body finally lets me fall asleep around 6-8am. I am blessed because my husband helps out and my kids sleep in when its summer. Once its school time they get up at 615 so I make breakfast and off to school they go. That is finally when I get an hour or two in. My cycle goes about 5 days. Then I crash and want to sleep all day long if I could. I don’t because I have responsibilities but I wish I could.

Hey I am 39. It’s not like in my 20s when I would stay out all night long, get couple hour’s sleep and then go to my 8am college class. I could bounce back easy AND I was doing it on purpose. Now I am 39, not doing it on purpose and definitely cannot bounce back easy ha!

It can get to you too. Not having a lot of sleep would make any saint not so saintly. Trust me I can get cranky even though I try my hardest not too. I have looked at my husband who I love dearly and thought about pushing him off the bed (okay it was only once I thought that but it did cross my mind) because he was sleeping TOO peacefully ha! This is one of the symptoms that I was SO RELIEVED I didn’t have after my first surgery. I almost could deal with the 100 pound weight gain from this hormone, loss of hair, bruising, depression, buffalo hump but insomnia is one of the top three that I just could never get used to and drove me nutso. Kind of like tonight. Day 2 of my cycle and not even happy that I probably have 3 more days to go.

I am blessed that anytime I am tired my husband is more than happy to help out and let me sleep. He understands which is very helpful. I also have tried to turn this insomnia thing into a positive. I can’t sleep and I am antsy. My legs hurt so bad that they need to move a lot. So what do I do? I clean the house. I catch up on my laundry (hey with 6 of us there is always laundry). I read books. I do paperwork. I do a lot of praying for others. I try to at least take this time and use it constructively. I have learned that me laying there staring at the clock is not helpful. I get more upset and that doesn’t help out especially because it’s a stress hormone. Don’t need to add to it.

Cushing’s is a crazy disease! Tomorrow I have my doctor’s appt and will find out my next steps since I have another tumor. I am not going to let cortisol win! I won’t let Cushing’s win! I just won’t. I can’t! I am going to go into this again with a more positive attitude and know that I can and will do this. I am stronger because of all that I have gone through. I also have a very big mouth so I hope that I am able to reach out and help others as well. It’s important for me to use this for good. I am sure though if I was writing this on the 5th day of my cycle of no sleep that I might have a little different wording of things. I still will be saying though that I want to help others and I want to TRY and stay positive.

Don’t get me wrong. I am scared. No one wants a second brain surgery. I worry about finances from going from California to Texas. I worry about my kids. I worry about my husband taking a week off of work. I worry about a lot. I just have to take those worries though and save them for another day. Its not going to help me out right now. Instead I will just continue to pray that things will work out. Trust in my surgeon and go into remission again. This time forever. If it doesn’t happen……I still have a lot of fight in me and will continue till it does. There is a reason I am going through this and I am going to use it for good. Cushing’s sucks but I am going to beat this! You just wait and see!
 
Subscribe to this blog by going to the main page and putting in your email. Have a blessed day.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE. Happiness is all I see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I have spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from church to church, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, INSOMNIA,  MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,GOUT,  NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2349010754824.  He is a real good and honest man.  
    website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete