Sunday, May 3, 2015

Teen Automobile Death and OBD2 Device

I have four teenagers and two are of driving age. Motor Vehicle crashes are the #1 cause of death amount teens in the USA. In the first year on the road Teens are 10 times more likely to get in a car crash.  I want our kids to be able to drive BUT to be safe. I would assume that most teens probably drive a little different when their parents are not in the car. We can hope that they drive the way they should but how do we really know.

At some point I have to let my kids grow up and drive. With four kids its helpful also to have another driver in the household with all the activities that we are constantly doing. This is how I decided to combat the mothers worry that I always have.

Ryan and I bought on Amazon the "MotoSafety MWVAS1 Teen Safety Wired GPS Vehicle Tracking System and OBD2 Device"


WHAT!!! What is that you say? Here is the description....Moto Safety - Your Teen Driving Coach, is a small, easy-to install GPS tracking device that monitors your teen's vehicle location and driving behavior. Developed with the input of driving instructors and law-enforcement, Moto Safety gives parents a new peace of mind when their new drivers hit the streets. Using a web-based interface, Moto Safety allows you to track your teen's whereabouts in real-time, monitor and analyze key safe driving activities such as speeding, harsh braking, and rapid acceleration, and receive a daily driver's report card that tells you if your teen driver is improving. You also can setup Geofences (imaginary boundaries on a map) to tell when your teen enters and exits key locations such as school or a friend's house, and you can receive unlimited text and email alerts for key activities. Installation of the Moto Safety wired device only requires a simple three-wire installation and is totally discrete. Monthly airtime subscription required to operate system; includes manufacturer's limited lifetime device warranty. (20 dollars a month....totally worth every penny to me).

Okay...OKAY....so to us though this is not a SPY on your child thing. We are doing this WITH our kids so they learn about their driving. Here are some of the examples of why we are going to use this.



1. Setup emails to receive notifications: mine, my hubby and my son. So all notifications are sent to all three of us.
2. We setup zones for home and school. If he leaves these zones, we get an email notification.
3. We set speed limit thresholds. If he exceeds these we get an email.
4. Daily we get an email showing a report card of his driving for the previous day.
5. At any time we can map his route for a date (including the current day)and see exactly where he drove and how fast he was traveling. We can use this feature to say "where is he now?" or "how long did he spend at his friends?"
6. In addition to speed, there are notifications for sudden breaking and sudden acceleration.
7. We are doing this as a learning tool and also to reward when he is doing great. He isn't allowed to just drive anywhere as he has to ask but since he is driving to school and back this is helpful. All four of our kids will be using this and they all four know about it. It isn't a secret to trap our kids into doing something wrong and punishing them. This is about educating them on their driving still when we ARENT in the car. A tool.

8. I can replace my car but not my child.


FACT: In 2014 66 percent of teenagers say they care what their parents opinion is about their driving.

I thought I would share what we are doing. When I started driving at 16 I am sure my parents wished they had this. You don't technically have to tell your kids but we chose to use it as a learning tool and to work together as a family on their driving even after their license. If you have had one or have a question comment below and tell me what you think.

Subscribe to my blog by google+, bloglovin or go to the homepage and put your email in. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment