Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Teenage Driver

I have four teenagers and that freaks me out when it come to driving! Today though I have my first official Teenage Driver. Jackson got his license after having his permit for a year. He is our oldest and although we have two kids who are of age to drive only one is interested in it. Cassie doesn't even have her permit yet and says she isn't ready. So we are waiting.

I am freaked out thinking about driving! I know in away there is a relief of all the driving I have to do with four teenagers that he will be able to run to the store or take himself to a meeting but I am still freaking out. FREAKING OUT! LOL!!

I remember turning 16 and being so excited to drive. My parents let me drive to the corner store with my sister and I thought I was the coolest person in the world! The ENTIRE WORLD! All we did was go to the corner store, buy a soda and come home. I remember seeing my dad peeking out the window. Ryan and I aren't much different.

We live on this really long road. Its oh about 3 miles and you can see all the way down it before you turn on the main road to go to our town. Its pretty funny because we let Jackson drive to go and get celebratory pizza and there was Ryan and I looking in binoculars to make sure he wasn't speeding past the neighbors house at the end of those 3 miles. Sometimes I do crack me up!

It has been funny day. When Jackson was standing in line to get his license you could see the excitement in his face and the dread of "what if I don't pass" feeling. Then what happens? We left one of the papers at home that we needed. So we had to go all the way back and get it and get back to the DMV. I think that stressed him out more because now he was overthinking everything.

Finally we are back with everything and he gets to get in the car. Ryan and I wish him luck and he starts walking out. We hear the lady say, "Which car is yours?" and hear him reply, "The Ferrari at the end there". Mind you he is actually pointing to my Chevy Equinox. She quickly retorts, "Well put the top down and lets go cruising" LOL! I am glad he had someone who helped him get into a relaxed mood but really took her job seriously.

As Ryan and I waited you could tell we were anxious because we kept looking out the window and talking about how old we were now! Teenage drivers scare me. I think that is why we waited till he was more mature and 17. I knew though when he got back whether he passed or not he would try to say he didn't.

As he walked in and tried to look sad and said he didn't pass. I laughed and then he laughed. He couldn't lie to save his life. He passed!

He finished his paperwork and the lady told us all his provisions since he cant drive between the hours of 11pm to 5am and he cant have friends in the car for the first year or till he is 18 whichever one comes first. She told him that we can take his driving privileges away at anytime. He told her that he knew that because we had been telling him since the day he got his permit. :) We were pretty pleased too because she said he had gotten the top score of the year. Mind you its April too not Jan 3rd or something:)

So I have a teenage driver. I better get used to it because I have 3 more kids to go one after another. We are going to take this slow. I wanted him though to have the memory that I did on the day I got my license of being able to go out. I asked him how it felt and he said it was pretty awesome. I am sure it helped that he saw a friend or two in the store. He got his license. Still funny that he told his friends that he was going to a Dr appointment just in case he didn't pass. Yep...that's my kid. Just happy he is happy and got his license.

1 comment: