Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rescue Lambs....everywhere

So they really aren't "rescue" lambs per say. If there was a huge operation of lambing in a ranch and the mother didn't take the baby....it might die because there isn't time to bottle fed. The ranching operation that we have friends with though they would feed every last one. Why though....when you have a Rae-Rae!

I love lambs...The first time I ever held or even saw a baby lamb was 2.5 year ago. I did a lot of oohing and aahing. I think I said how cute they were 400 times in one sentence. Ever since then during lambing season I was hooked!
Jackson holding a one day old

I love the bummer lambs. Bummer lambs are the ones that the mom refuses to feed. Bummer lambs also can be "special" lambs like this one that have a small deformity that makes it so the mom doesn't want it. The saddest ones are the ones that are born and the momma dies:( These don't happen that often but they do happen.

Our Rancher friends know how much I love to have the lambs and feed them so when something happens they call me up and I come and get them. I get so excited each time. So much so my kids even grown and say "another one mom?" ha! Our friends would bottle feed them themselves but they know how much I love them so they give them to me.
One of the twins who mom didn't make it


This week has been lambing week so a lot has happened. I ended up with two lambs that mom died during birth. These two I wont be keeping because its another friend of ours who is out of town and we are just helping out.
Our friends lamb


Then we got "Lammie" who is special because she has a cleft palate and one eye doesn't open all the way. She will never be bred but rather become food later in the season.
Our special lamb we named "Lammie"

Today we got twins #16 (just so happens its my favorite #) because the mom passed away couple days after birthing. It sounds like there are a lot of bummers but really their isn't.

Sheep usually have twins but sometimes can have up to quadruplets. We got another bummer lamb who was so precious only half the size of the smallest ones. It was sad because she only made it 2 days:( Its hard because I cry each time.
This lil lady didn't make it:(

These lambs are just so cute and I love them so. When they are new like this they are fed every 3-4 hours around the clock. Most people wouldn't want to do that but I really do enjoy it.

Since now we have more than just a couple lambs....we had to make their own room in the barn. Their first day or two of life though I keep them in a playpen to take care of them. Crazy I know. Once they are a little stronger or eating off the bottle easy then we move them into the lamb barn. You should see how funny I look driving down the dirt road in my pjs in the middle of the night to go feed them. Again though....I love it.
Love Cudding


I don't wish that something happens to the moms or that the moms don't take the babies....but let me just say if I get more lambs it definitely wont hurt my heart. They are just little now. I cant wait till they are playing and jumping. It is soooo cute.

Trust me...you would want one after you saw them in person too! I guess that's why my true ranching friends call me Farmer Rae. I am willing to take anything that is bottle fed. Who knows...calving season will be coming up soon.

Who knows we might end up with a couple more. Our own little flock. Its going to be a lot of work but it is sooooo worth every second of it. Really gives me happiness to see these bummers grow and flourish!
Ryan helping me  do late night feeding

yummmy

They love their space.


Subscribe by going to the  home page and putting your email in. You will receive an email every time I blog. We also give away a 20 dollar gift card each month so check that out. Have a blessed day.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment