Saturday, March 28, 2015

Saving Minnies Life (caution pics)

What I saw yesterday was something I had never seen before. To me it was amazing, educational and a wonderment. This is the story of how my Minnie was born.

As you can see by the pictures Minnie is a calf. Her mom was 17 years old which is cow years that is very old. I looked up the lifespan of a Cow and its normally about 15 years. So she really had lived her Cow life in the big pastures of California. I love the Ranch she lives on because the people who own the ranch are such loving, giving people. They treat others and their animals like Gold.

Minnie's Mom was able to calf throughout her years and have many babies. Minnie however was taking all the nutrients from her mom growing inside of her. The Mom was like any other Mom out there....giving to her baby.

Today the Mom couldn't get up. She was struggling and it was so sad. Even when I saw her I wanted her out of her misery. It had just started that day so they knew they would have to take the baby before both the baby and the momma were gone. Her mom lived a good life.

I prepared myself to see what I was about to see but in the end I didn't even think about the blood or such because I was so worried about if the baby would come out alive. After putting the mother down you have less than a couple minutes to get the baby out. I watched as our Rancher Friends cut open the momma and a couple of people gathered around to help him out. A baby calf is about 60 pounds or so and you have to pull it out. It was a moment I will never forget. The sacrifice the momma gives for the baby. Our Rancher friend was worried and worked fast. I was amazed at how calm he was even though you could tell his heart was pounding.

Then with a little struggle he pulled her out! Feet first and hung her up so they could take the Mucus plug out of her mouth. She was breathing!! He did it!!! Two of my children Cassie and Jason were able to be there too. They didn't even get grossed out because they were so happy the baby was alive like the rest of us. Lots of questions were asked and they answered them all.

We all wiped her down with towels and rubbed on her like the mom would. She was taken to the barn to get her first bottle of colostrum so she could have the antibodies that she will need. It took two to  feed her. She was 2 weeks preemie they figured out so we were worried that her stomach would be able to handle things. Normally a calf would be grafted onto another Cow so they can eat that milk but this one would be bottle fed. I was pretty excited because we were going to take Minnie in the morning to our ranch and raise her.


She was pretty slimy at first so it was harder to feed her. HA! She wasn't standing on her own yet either but that was pretty normal I was told.

Next day Minnie was a feisty little calf! She made it through the night and we were able to take her home. She eats about 2 bottles every 4 hours right now. She is doing really well. You kind of have to stand over her and feed her. She is learning to eat her bottle still. Natural instincts will kick in and soon she will be running to us for her bottle. Ryan and I both take turns feeding her. We bring our bucket full of bottles to the barn for our four lambs and bottle fed calf. We feed the lambs first because they are more demanding and then Minnie.



She is precious and so pretty. How can a cow be pretty? Well she is! I am still in love with our other bottle fed calf Princess who is now a big ol teenage cow. Hey I am not a Real Rancher so I forget the name of a teenager cow lol.

In the end I was really glad that most of us got to be there to experience this. I love that she lived. Sometimes that's not the case. Its hard on Ranchers to lose a cow or a calf. This is their income. This momma though did her job for many years! Look at the beauty that came out of it all. I am so thankful to our Ranching Friends for inviting us to come. For answering all our questions and for making it a learning experience. For this story it was a happy ending. Here is our little Shorthorn Calf Minnie!



Subscribe to my blog or follow me on Bloglovin!  Thank you for all of you who are following. Ask any questions you want or comment below. I love to hear from others.

2 comments:

  1. You've got such a loving heart and deep compassion, Rae. No doubt that it was both sad and happy tears. No better human beings on earth than you and your family to be there when any living creature is in need. I would have been no help because I would have been sobbing mess. The calf is so lucky to have you as her mama, and well, your entire family! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Wendy. We love her but her life is credited to the ranchers who got her out in time. She is growing fast already

      Delete